Equipment and adaptations

​There are lots of examples of equipment that you could use around your home to help you with day-to-day tasks.

Community Occupational Therapy - Equipment

If you need adaptations or equipment to help you manage at home you will need to contact the Occupational Therapy Team.

They will carry out an assessment to get a clearer picture of the difficulties that you are having (e.g. bathing, climbing stairs, or transferring from a chair to a bed) and advise you about whether you are eligible for help from them.

If you are not eligible, they will tell you about other services that may be available.

The assessment will tell you if you need a major adaptation such as a stair lift, through floor lift or walk in shower.

Contact Occupational Therapy

How do I get my equipment?

Once you have been assessed by a professional, the equipment service will call and make an appointment with you to deliver and fit the equipment.

This service is managed by Olympus Care Services.


AskSARA is an online self-help guide that is useful if you are not sure which items might help you.

Home improvements

For more major adaptations you may need to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there.

A grant is paid when the council considers that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

You can claim if you, or someone living in your property, are disabled and:

  • you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of the property
  • you can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period (currently five years).

​If you have physical health problems, your local borough or district council could help to find a property which has already been adapted in a way that meets your needs. Alternatively, they may be able to get a housing grant to cover any adaptations which need to be made.

Minor adaptations costing less than £1,000 are provided by the council at no charge, if you are assessed as needing them.

Minor adaptations include:

  • grab rails to make it safer to get in and out of a bath
  • blocks to make beds higher
  • raised toilet seats and bath seats

In some cases you may be asked to pay costs associated with these changes, such as maintenance charges. If you disagree with the decision about a minor adaptation, you can use the council's complaints procedure.

If the adaptation costs more than £1,000, you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant to help pay for it. This could include bigger changes, such as:

  • improving access to rooms and facilities, such as stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • providing a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A disabled facilities grant will not affect any benefits that you're getting.

How do I apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

Contact the person listed below, according to the type of home you live in.

Privately owned homes

Council property

Housing association

If you are living in another Housing Association property then please contact Community Occupational Therapy.

Landlords duty to make "reasonable adjustments"

Under the Equality Act 2010, there is a duty for landlords to make "reasonable adjustments" for tenants with disabilities.

Your landlord doesn't have to make changes which affect the structure or which would substantially and permanently alter the building. For example, they don't have to remove walls, widen doorways or install permanent ramps. But there are some things they must do to adapt your home if you're disabled and if it is reasonable to do so.

For example, you can ask your landlord to do the following things under the Equality Act: 

  • remove, replace or provide any furniture, furnishings, materials or equipment, as long as it would not become a permanent fixture when installed
  • replace or provide signs or notices
  • replace taps or door handles
  • replace, provide or adapt your door bell or door entry system
  • change the colour of any surface – for example; a wall or a door
  • changing practices, policies and procedures – for example; allowing an assistance dog in a place that normally doesn't allow pets


 Back to

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Related pages

Please Add Some Content

 Useful links

Mi Life mobility showroom

Canary is a discreet, easy to install monitoring and notification system.

Shared site content

How does it work?

Updated budget timeline 2018/19

View on Facebook

Save someone in need. Give the gift of life.

If you needed an organ transplant would you have one? We’re campaigning with NHS Blood and Transplant to educate young people about #OrganDonation. M...

View on Facebook

Signing up to NHS register as a young person means that someday you could save lives as a donor—by leaving behind the gift of life. Help save someone ...

View on Facebook

Breast Cancer - Be Clear on Cancer

Today, Public Health England are launching their Be Clear on Cancer ‘breast cancer in women over 70’ campaign. If you've noticed changes to your breas...

View on Facebook

Over the next few days we will be sharing quotes from some of the older children in care and the difference their foster carers have made to them. Co...

View on Facebook

Northamptonshire Shared Lives service for vulnerable adults rated outstanding

View on Facebook
17/02/2017 15:57
22/12/2016 09:10
test highways news release
31/08/2016 22:00
Northamptonshire County Council’s Cabinet will next month (September 6th) discuss plans to add an additional 105 new places at Wollaston Community Primary School.
31/08/2016 22:00
This summer’s Women’s Tour was watched by a record-breaking 80,000 people in Northamptonshire – 12,500 more than last year.