Are you entitled to free care and support services without a financial assessment

There are some cases where customers are entitled to free care and support services and are therefore not required to complete a financial assessment.

If you fit any of the following categories you may be entitled to free care and support services.

​If you have substantial and on-going health needs, you may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC) funding towards the cost of your health needs.

How are your continuing health care needs assessed?

For most people the first stage in the assessment process is to have their care needs screened against a standard CHC checklist. This may be carried out by:

  • a nurse or a social worker before someone is discharged from hospital
  • a GP or a nurse in a person’s own home
  • a social worker when carrying out a community care assessment.

The second stage is to have a full assessment using a decision support tool. The assessment is usually a meeting between health, social care, yourself and any person you would like to accompany you.

NHS Corby and NHS Nene Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) are responsible for assessing and making the eligibility decision for NHS CHC and NHS-funded Nursing Care. There are national CHC eligibility criteria. They will also identify, arrange and fund all the services required to meet your needs:

  • if you are assessed as being eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare; or
  • for the healthcare part of a joint package of care with Northamptonshire County Council.

Joint care packages

If you are assessed as not being eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, you may be eligible for a joint package of continuing health and social care.

This means that the NHS and the council may share responsibility for providing and possibly funding the care agreed in your care or support plan. Such arrangements are sometimes known as joint package of continuing care. Even if you are funding your own care you may be eligible for this.

Please note that you may be required to pay a financial contribution to the social care element of your package which is provided by the council. You will be asked to complete a financial assessment form to determine how much you need to pay.

How do I find out more?

NHS Corby and NHS Nene Clinical Commissioning Groups can provide more information on the eligibility criteria and assessment process.

If you think that you have care needs that should be assessed or if someone you care for has needs that you think should be assessed, you should contact NHS Corby or NHS Nene Clinical Commissioning Groups and ask to speak to the co-ordinator.

If you have been in hospital under Section 3, 37, 45A, 47 or 48 of the Mental Health Act 1983 your care and support needs will be free under Section 117 aftercare. The NHS and social services have joint responsibility for your aftercare.

Section 117 means that you will get free aftercare when you leave hospital.

Your care and support needs may include such services as:

    • specialist housing
    • meeting other people
    • finding work, education or volunteering opportunities
    • free prescriptions for mental health medication

If you suffer from a potential terminal illness, you can ask your GP to issue a DS1500 certificate. This certificate contains information about your diagnosis and treatment and entitles you to free care in your own home.

However, if you are in, or going into a care home and you have a DS1500 certificate, you will still need to complete a financial assessment and you will be assessed to pay a contribution towards your care costs.

Request an assessment or review from adult social care

If you or the person you care for has a DS1500 and you would like to request help from the council, please contact adult social care for an assessment or care review if you already have a care package.

How to request an assessment or review

Shared site content

How does it work?

Fostering with Northamptonshire County Council

View on Facebook

We urgently need foster carers for older children. Can you help to shape their future? To find out more go to:

View on Facebook


Our fostering team are in the Grosvenor Centre, Northampton today. If fostering is something you have been thinking about or would like to find out m...

View on Facebook

7 in 10 cases of chlamydia are symptomless, Find out more about why using a condom is the way forward: #ProtectAgainstSTIs

View on Facebook


Finding foster families for older children is a top priority as we need foster carers to give local children aged between 11 and 18 the supportive hom...

View on Facebook

Teach Northamptonshire

This half term why not come and see what a beautiful county Northamptonshire is to teach in.

View on Facebook
17/02/2017 15:57
22/12/2016 09:10
test highways news release
31/08/2016 22:00
Northamptonshire County Council’s Cabinet will next month (September 6th) discuss plans to add an additional 105 new places at Wollaston Community Primary School.
31/08/2016 22:00
This summer’s Women’s Tour was watched by a record-breaking 80,000 people in Northamptonshire – 12,500 more than last year.