Hartwell Primary School, School Lane, Hartwell, NN7 2HL
When the school has more applications than there are places available the governors will admit pupils according to the following criteria listed in order of priority. The governors will give priority to children with a statement of Special Educational Needs which names Hartwell School as the most appropriate school in meeting the needs of the child.
- ‘Looked after children’ - that is children in local authority care or previously ‘looked after children’ but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order.
- Children with specific medical or social needs, where professionals have clearly identified that the school will best meet the needs of the child (see below)
- Children of teaching staff employed by the Academy at the date of admission
- Children living with their parents/legal guardians in the parish of Hartwell (see residence definition below)
- Children with a sibling attending the school at the time of admission (see definition below)
- Other children
Where there are more applications in any one category, applications will be prioritised on the distance from the child’s home to the address point of the school. Distances are measured on a straight-line basis from the address point of the child’s permanent residence to the address point of the school using the local authority geographical information system.
Medical and social
If you believe that your child has exceptional medical or social needs you will need to provide evidence of this from an appropriate professional. The needs must relate to your child and the evidence must detail how the needs of your child can only be met at your preferred school. This can be sent in a sealed envelope if you prefer. If accompanied by a professional’s letter, they MUST demonstrate in their judgement why Hartwell Primary School can meet your child’s needs, and also demonstrate why other local schools cannot meet your child’s needs. It is not sufficient for a professional to say in their judgement only Hartwell Primary School can meet your child’s needs - they must state why schools B or C cannot meet the needs. The decision as to whether the application is met by this criteria is made by the school governors.
Definition of residency
The child’s place of residence is the address of the parent or legal guardian with whom the child spends the majority of time during the school week. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be asked to produce evidence of residency/home address at any time during the admissions process.
Definition of siblings
The definition of a brother or sister, sometimes referred to as a sibling:
- A brother or sister sharing the same parent
- A half-brother or half-sister, where two children share one common parent
- A step-brother or step-sister, where two children are related by a parent’s marriage
- Adopted children
A brother or sister must be living at the same address when the application is made.
Definition of staff
Staff is defined as where the permanent member of teaching staff has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made.